I noted that one of the things you identified about your child's reading was that he doesn't "slow down enough to read each word".

My AS son had significant problems with tracking, convergence, and visual processing (including left-sided visual neglect), and it appeared that he needed to "slow down" so he didn't skip words, insert words from the line above or below, or blend words together when he was reading. This was not really a matter of him needing to "slow down", it was a matter of him not having the visual motor control and processing to keep his eyes from skipping around on the page. Intensive specialized OT to work on visual motor control and visual processing helped a great deal. Some other things that have helped my son with reading every word on the page include giving him access to large print or magnification, use of colored filters to reduce glare, using a card with a cut-out slit just large enough to show a single line of type to cover everything on the page except the line he is reading, and having him follow along the line with his finger as he reads. BTW, my son's ability and inclination to sustain eye contact, while still not usual, improved a great deal once the worst of his ocular-motor issues were remediated.

He is now a voracious and highly skilled reader (and his reading comprehension really took off as soon as his visual issued were corrected/compensated for), but he would to this day tell you that summarizing is the hardest (and least favorite) task he faces when asked to discuss what he has read.