I haven't posted on this board for quite a while, but wanted to get back into things here as we are now really feeling the impacts of having a 2E kid. I have a 6 y.o., currently in kindergarten with Asperger syndrome. Most of his school struggles have to do with behaviors in the classroom. Academically, he is not performing terribly well in reading. It is not likely he will meet the standard set by the end of the year. One struggle he has is slowing himself down to make sure he is reading each word. His biggest struggle, however, is being able to retell the story when he is done reading it. I am trying to get to the root of this problem and am wondering if the retelling in particular could be related his processing speed.

I have been reviewing my son's original school (done in April 2010) and medical (done in November 2010) evaluations recently to prep myself for his upcoming IEP meeting. One of the things that popped out at me, and I have been trying to think more about is the scores he received on the WPPSI during his medical evaluation.

I don't have the full report in front of me, as I am at work right now, but here is what I recall. His verbal language score and patterning skills tested in the superior range. There was a significant gap between his verbal language and nonverbal language scores. The largest gap was with his processing speed. That score tested in the low average range and was about 40-50 points below his verbal language score.

What I am trying to research and understand is how this disparity could be affecting his classroom learning and if there need to be some adaptations put in place for his processing ability. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?