Originally Posted by shellymos
Originally Posted by mayreeh
The really weird thing is that my son is 12 now. He only skipped the one grade and is taking Alegra I at school. He could probably have passed the final for Alegra I on day one - but he is still learning from taking the course.

Anyway - I guess my point is, I like supplementing at home versus pushing too fast at school. Push as fast as you have to - don't get me wrong. But do explore the options of ALEKS and other online programs. If they work, they might give you more options to choose from.

Mayreeh - did you find your son getting frustrated when things were at a slower pace at school? My DS7 is PG as well and is currently grade skipped one grade (in 3rd) and goes to 5th grade for math. But 5th grade is way too easy as well. They let him do a computer program that goes up to 8th grade every morning for about 20 minutes and he is almost done with that program so not sure what they are going to do next. He doesn't complain about the pace, because he isn't really a complainer about academics and enjoys the social piece and everything else. But I just wonder how he is handling the slow pace of it all and all the repetition.

See if the school could subscribe him to Aleks.com for him (goes much higher than 8th grade) and it tests him and places him correctly. There is also the Khan academy for additional work (but you have to do more problems to "master" a skill on that one...but they also have videos to explain topics and not just written words).

If I was still homeschooling my son would have Aleks, a traditional grade level text book as a reference book, and Khan Academy to use for additional help, with a once a week problem solving "class" from me.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary