Originally Posted by Austin
II think the best analogy I have heard on this situation is akin to a fishing boat. The crew is fishing for herring and one day they get a king salmon. They just throw the salmon back or let it die on the deck because they are in the business of catching herring. That is most public schools.

That's great! I don't think I've ever heard that one before (and it's so true)

Actually, we had the meeting today, and they seemed surprisingly reasonable. They said they're not against grade skipping or acceleration, but they are concerned about his social skills. At times he seems to have no boundaries, he pokes kids to get attention, knocks down blocks, etc. The psychologist said he saw him in the hallway today in the hallway making circles w/his finger in the air. He asked him what he was doing, and he said "making the sign for infinity". bla, bla, bla,

Sooo...they suggested the psychologist and other staff in school do some real thorough academic testing to see where he's at/what he needs. They also suggested that he have a psych eval done by a psychiatrist -- just talk to him and observe his behavior, to get a take on what's going on socially/emotionally. Sounds reasonable, just as long as the Psychiatrist is familiar w/gifted kids etc. so whatever behaviors he's observing aren't misinterpreted.