Originally Posted by AlexsMom
Amen - and I personally felt comfortable using the most-skip-favorable feeling as the one that counted.
FWIW, here's the calendar of DD's skip of 2nd (which was not a mid-year skip, since our district doesn't like those):
I have to heartily agree with you here - and thanks so much for posting your chronology - very instructive for PGlets.

Remember that Perfectionism - particularly the Outer-directed-perfectionism - is alive and well in most of us for the majority of our years on earth. Liberal helping of salt grains needed.

I think that what helped us the most over the years, was to have a family 'motto' that was short and to the point to refer back to. Ours was something like: "All members of this family are expected to put themselves in situation where they face challenges and have to work to overcome those challenges."

Having a guidepost was really helpful when DS was changing schools and fine tuning the balance. He 'got it' that I didn't really care which classroom he sat in, as long as he was able to create challenges during or after school to engage with. Since his needs were so extreme, and his internal motivation and creativity isn't the strongest, there were many years when this meant he needed gradeskips so he could be in the classrooms where the teacher created the challenges. I know other kids who are better at generating alternatives and great at 'self-differentiating' no matter what classroom they are in. As long as we kept the goal in mind, then it didn't become a power struggle about 'how to accomplish the goal.'

Make sense?
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com