Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Originally Posted by AlexsMom
It's not clear to me why some of her homeschool plan selling points are "You wouldn't have to drive me to school," and "You could just leave me work to do." I suspect bait-and-switch. wink
Otherwise known as theory of mind ;-)

Yeah, that also explains the over-the-top "That was a very interesting piece of information, Mom" I get in response to virtually every explanation. It totally works, though - praise the behavior you want, and you get more of it.

It makes it very hard for me to tell what she's really going for, though, because she'll reinforce a behavior that has both desirable and undesirable components, and it's not always clear to me which component she desires (or that one is undesirable).

She had an excellent day at school today, and said she even worked diligently (but unsuccessfully) at her timed subtraction worksheet. Which could be random chance, or a better-for-mood-control lunch, or that her best friend came back from vacation, or that she doesn't really disenjoy school after all, or that I didn't flatly deny her homeschool request so she sees light at the end of the tunnel. So hard to tell.