Originally Posted by jesse
Sounds like she learns things very fast.

I am a horrible judge of that, vacillating between "she didn't understand that completely after one high-level explanation, so maybe she's not as smart as I think" and "she saw that stuff once, briefly, two months ago, and understood it completely after one demonstration, which is pretty unusual."

IMHO she learns faster than I did at that age, but it's hard to look back 30 years and evaluate how you yourself learned. She gets stuck less than I remember getting stuck, perseveres more, pushes herself more, and cares more about doing well at school. She's also better with people, more athletic, and more artistic.

Originally Posted by jesse
I haven't looked back at your earlier posts to see her level of giftedness

We haven't had her tested (and may not, because a number wouldn't change the underlying issues, you know?). I'd guess that she'd test higher than I would, and I'm pretty smart, but lower than her cousin would. Her cousin presents as much more typically HG; DD is a late bloomer who plays her cards close to the vest. It wouldn't surprise me if she tested well enough for DYS (although it would surprise me if she were significantly above the cutoff, or above on significantly more sections than required), and it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't qualify (although it would surprise me if she were significantly below the cutoff).

She's a smart kid, but not so smart it scares me. Much.