Originally Posted by Val
Can you break them down and try to address them singly?

We can fix the library issue fairly easily; I can access the school database and send her with a list of books I think she'll like.

If anyone with more boy experience has a suggestion for the boy issue, I'd be glad for it! I've seen the "annoying" boys interact with her before school - they all yell "Hi, Alex!" when she walks up, and smile at her while she scowls and turns away. When she accidentally dumped milk on herself at lunch and had to wear too-big jeans from the nurse's clothes closet, one of them showed her how to fold and tuck her jeans and shirt together so they didn't fall down. Those little boys aren't tormenting her - they just like her. (And explaining got that me a turned-away scowl.)

I don't know what to do about the meeting academic peers thing, absent an acceleration (and I don't know that acceleration would help long-term, because she moves so fast, but surely she's got to ceiling out at some point, right?) We aren't close enough to a talent search to do day camp, and she isn't ready for sleepaway camp (sleepovers with friends or family run about a 50% success rate). We have a gifted school reasonably local, but they use a 90th percentile cutoff, and warn about the heavy homework load - which combined with the longer commute would mean homework would fill all the time between arriving home and going to bed.

For example, your idea of math acceleration fixes one discrete problem (math is too easy at current level) and will have a bonus of easing overall boredom-related stress while also exposing her to other kids.

Originally Posted by Val
I know about the leave-it-blank or ignore-it thing. I'm seeing it too, and need to discuss the issue with one of my son's teachers. I wonder if it comes from being tired of doing the same thing again and again.

She said she had no idea why she'd left them blank, and that she wasn't even aware she'd done it until she got the test back. (At which point she worked those two problems and asked for a regrade, but the original grade wasn't low enough to qualify.)

When I see her do it, it's like she just tunes out. Any little interruption is enough to send her off into dreamland. But you're right, it's always when she's working on something that's too much of the same thing, and a suggestion that just working through as fast as she can to get it over with is enough to get her back on track.

Thank you, that was a very helpful train of thought. I'm going to suggest that she move to another IXL topic once she's gotten the 80% baseline proficiency, rather than pushing through for 100%. (Those last 20% take at least as many right answers as the first 80%, and one typo can knock 10 points off your score, while a right answer only adds 1 or 2%. I accidentally hit a key that messed up her right answer, and it took me about 15 problems to get her score back up.)

I never would have identified that as too much of the same thing, because it happens even on topics that are new to her, but now that I think about it, it never happens on topics that she doesn't quite get, and has to work at - just on topics that have lost their challenge.