One, boys may be more likely to be the squeaky wheel by misbehaving when needs aren't met. Two, boys may be more represented in math which tends to impress the verbal, nonmath oriented people more. There is a clearer path of advancement in math. Three, some parents may an unstated belief that school is more important for boys and getting along is more important for girls.

I should perhaps mention that the school requires only IQ test results, current GIEP, and report cards to apply. No achievement test scores. No other application of any kind. It's an interesting system. Anyway, they don't have much data about the kids' math ability on the ground, nor is there a chance to write some long impassioned plea about square peg and round hole, etc.

The ratio may be more skewed than 60/40. I didn't actually count. It was simply easily visible that there were more boys than girls, though it wasn't 80/20 or anything like that.

I grew up the only girl in a family with five brothers, and most of my friends growing up were boys, and it doesn't appear to have damaged me in any way.

It's not that I think boys are damaging. However, I think it can be socially hard to be the minority gender in the early school years when kids self-segregate. We have already seen this in DD's life, on multiple occasions.

Last edited by ultramarina; 04/24/11 06:30 PM. Reason: "impassionated" is certainly not a word