Originally Posted by landofthelost
The problem we now have is her score in the map test stayed the same in math now as it was in Nov. so they feel her strong subject is reading and will probably tell us subject acceleration in math is out.
This may be stating the obvious, but it is entirely possible that her math MAP score did not go up because she was not being taught anything new.

Things I plan to ask about are how they test first graders at the end of the year besides the map ie...math end of book test and see if dd can take it at the begining to see how she scores. Their big push is "higher level thinking activities"( I will throw myself off of a bridge if I hear them say that and gaps in learning one more time!!!) Not the next years curriculum at first to see how that works with her.
I think you need to ask for your DD to take the end-of-first-grade math test now and then compare it to the current first graders. If the test shows there are any holes, then you can teach her those skills over the summer. Doing so will probably take all of a day or two.

I agree that differentiation is extremely time consuming for the teacher. I already told them that I felt to really be done right it needs to be run the way an IEP is run. If not, we will end up with more of the same. Again, they want us to hear them out.
If they feel that her reading scores are stronger, perhaps they should be asked to look at a full-grade acceleration as well. It's certainly easier on the teachers than either enrichment or subject-acceleration.

She thought she could, so she did.