So I spoke with the GT coordinator for over an hour on the phone yesterday. We are having another meeting. This time it will include everyone. The principal, two of her possible teachers for next year (they can't guarantee which one b/c the class lists can require a lot of shuffling), school psychologist and I think she said the social worker too.

I asked if I could see a list of conferences or in school training the staff has had in differentiation, b/c if this really is the schools method for working with the gifted until they qualify for the honors program the staff should be highly trained. She said they feel that conferences aren't the best method for training and that they feel a lot of their teachers have these skills naturally. That they do have training through their weekly team meetings(the school gets out 15 minutes early every Tuesday for staff meetings) in RTI. She sent me the 50 page document they use. I have to read through it today.

I told her our fears are of another year where the differentiation doesn't work. With the lack of follow through on this year�s classroom teacher�s part and that nobody is really holding her accountable, it is hard to see this working. That another year where dd continues to come home feeling upset and frustrated is not acceptable. She said they will be open to subject acceleration as a plan B if this method isn't helping. That made me feel better that they are going to be open to something else.

I am feeling optimistic that next year will be better. I feel the fact that they are having a meeting with everyone is a sign that they are taking the situation seriously.

I have been reading up on differentiation and will read through the RTI packet she sent me. I still have some anxiety about the method, but think with a dedicated teacher she will have a much more successful year.

Has anyone here had success with this method? What would you suggest we look for/ask for? I know every child is different so what works for one might not work for another, but I just want to know what things we should have in writing in her goal plan. We just want this coming year to be a great one.

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice/information you have given me in the past. I feel that b/c I found this place and saw the success of others I found the strength to keep going. I know I will continue to find it to make sure my dd gets what she needs in school.