Originally Posted by smacca
I've found, though, that I'm more likely to get these responses from fellow parents. A lot of our family friends are childless, and it's interesting that THEY are the ones who really notice how different DS is from other kids his age. It's great that he has this community of adults who *GET* him, but I often wish I had a community of parents who I could share as openly with.

Welcome and I've definitely experienced that too. We have a lot of intelligent single/childless friends from work and they'll even ask me point blank if something of the things DD is doing are not really unusual. Normally they then enjoy sharing stories from their own childhood and it's been a great way of getting ideas and sharing experiences.

As for OP. There are just some things I keep my mouth shut about. DD's languages skills are not extremely out there (advanced but not in the wow-she's-a-super-genius ballpark) so it's easier to stay under the radar. Now if they hand this kid a puzzle or can actually understand some of the things she's saying when it comes to animals or the human body that might be another thing. Thankfully that doesn't really come up ever in public! wink

And I have to say, it really saddens me that others have struggled so much to the point that they find the number of understanding parents in the minority. I have some friends I *think* I could talk to IRL if I felt the need but choose not to just to be on the safe side. Keep looking and I hope you guys have better luck on finding a kindred soul!

Oh, and just to add. DH and my parents all did the sort of eye-rolling-your-just-proud-first-time-parents-gig for a long time. However, after DD spent any set amount of time with them that stopped pretty quickly. Now it's hard to get them to keep their mouths shuts with their colleagues at work!