Originally Posted by daytripper75
Sometimes we just want to talk about our children like everyone else and be heard. I would never ask someone about their children and not try to ask a few questions about what was being said or comment positively or offer support. I guess we shouldn't need or want that because our children are bright? frown

This really resonated - I too would always respond in a supportive way when someone told me about their children (particularly if I asked) - even if that person had an approach to parenting that might be different to my own. I think you've hit the nail on the head - that occasional lack of empathy is what I find so disheartening. Looking after kids is hard work, not matter what their abilities, surely there is some shared experience to be found in that.

It's been an interesting and, ultimately positive week. I've met a lot of parents at the school over the last few days. People have been asking where dd went to school last year and I have been honest (the principal was happy for me to be honest) - basically responding with 'it's a long story, but basically dd has started school in grade one', and then not expanding on the 'long story'. That seems to have worked well. Most people have just left it at that and then continued on with friendly conversation.

Lucounu, I think you're on to something with your comment about the agenda of the askers. What I have discovered is that the person I had spoken to when I initially posted has very bright children. From my small exposure to them, I'd guess possibly gifted themselves. I got the sense her children were seen as the bright sparks of their grade levels. I wonder if the awkwardness of the interaction (she was very adamant that dd was nothing unusual) was related to some concern that dd was a threat to that status. Lol - if that's the case she's welcome to hang on to it - Introverted me would rather hide in the background (hence my discomfort at not blending in with the crowd!)

Overall I would say that it is people who have a sense of worth invested in how their kids are perceived that get the most uncomfortable with dd. Those that have a more intrinsic sense of self just see her as another kid, who, like all kids, is unique in her own way.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke