Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It's beyond that level (HG+, usually) that they seem to make quantum jumps and just acquire understanding (often with complete mastery) from seemingly out of nowhere.

Those kinds of 'spooky' jumps only seem to happen with some LOG, and they are apparently so characteristic of EG/PG children that they are virtually diagnostic in and of themselves.

I've been in GT denial for so long (is she really that gifted??) that my perspective is pretty out-of-whack. DD5 has been making these kinds of jumps since infancy/toddler-hood and I just considered it part of her regular behavior. She was never "early" with her infancy accomplishments, but when she did learned something, it was completely mastered. And then she'd go on to master 2 or 3 other tasks in the same week.

I've noticed this kind of behavior coming out in my other DD, just 2.5. She has a more laid-back personality than DD5 and does not possess the obsessive drive to learn or be mentally engaged at all times, but she is also doing these jumps intellectually that are surprising me all over again.

Looking at Dr. Ruf's Levels of Giftedness criteria, DD5 is easily a level 4 with some attributes in a level 5.

I hope we can find a school that can accommodate a child like this. DD5 has a bit of an authority complex (gets it honestly from her daddy.... oh, and me too), and teaching her at home is not always the easiest thing to do. It wouldn't be impossible to homeschool, but not ideal at the moment. However, I could easily see how it could become the ideal approach after unsuccessful attempts at private or public schools.

Until I began doing research in gifted children and education, I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would have a child that could be too smart to attend school. What a crazy world we live in.