I called the local public school gifted coordinator when my son was 5 to ask about accomodations in kindergarten for a highly gifted child who was reading on 4th grade level.

I was told that I should start him on medication because, in their experience, ALL GIFTED KIDS ARE ADHD.

Needless to say, my kids did not go to the local public school.

The local private school for "average and above average students" has an average class size of 12 and has worked well for us.

I also have a friend with a gifted 2nd grade boy who has had a horrible time in school. She recently pulled him out (mid-year) and moved him from public school with a class size of 35 to private school with a class size of 14. He now loves school and is motivated to learn.

I guess I would say this means you should look at private schools as an option.

However, my most generic advice is this: make the best choice you can given the options you have available. Always look for other options and don't be afraid to make a new choice next week/month/year if there is a change in your options or the information that feeds into your decision. Sometimes the best choice today wasn't an option a year ago.

Good luck-
Mary

Last edited by mayreeh; 02/26/11 09:03 AM.

Mary