Thanks for the responses.

The private school we're looking at is a Montessori-like school, and stresses the fact that each child is different. They have no problem accelerating material for one child while not for another -- that's actually part of their mission statement. So I have no worries that the private school won't meet my child's needs academically. Even with DD5 being in just preschool, they're already supplementing her reading (she reads one-on-one with a teacher each school day). Our public school I called said they would not pull her out of class for reading, which really discourages me. She's at a 3rd grade reading level, but she'd be "learning" what the rest of her kindergarten class would be learning. However, this was not definitive since we have not met with the principal and other school representatives yet.

The guidance counselor at the public school said a couple of things to me that sent up some red flags. First, she made a comment about possible acceleration, but added something about not accelerating so that DD5 would always be the top of her class (insinuating that this may be good for her). This rubbed me the wrong way immediately, and I got the feeling that the guidance counselor doesn't really get it. She also said that although DD5 wouldn't be pulled out of class for reading, she could do other things, like read a book to the class. I don't want DD5 just being teacher's helper, I want her to learn... geez. But in all fairness, this was the first phone call to the school and only involved the guidance counselor, not the principal or any teachers. Our state laws mandate that a gifted child must be accommodated, however I'm sure that can be interpreted loosely.

The private school is GREAT -- their philosophy is perfect for DD5. The school is very small, only a few years old. Class sizes are very small and include two grades with one teacher (mixed-age). DD5 is already working with the Kindergarten/1st grade teacher with reading. But the private school cost money. And I became a SAHM last year after I got laid off from my job in the medical field.

Oh, the fun begins . .. . smile