Ok. Let me confess I have not read all responses - got you G though :-) sage wisdom as always.

You cannot make a blanket comparison of public to private. There are some public schools I would pay to get into - those with self contained gt programs. There are some that allow real and meaningful single subject, and whole grade acceleration. There are some so knee-capped by NCLB and finances that they cannot withstand the demands of a gifted child. But what options do you have - in many cases private is not better. This is one of those socio-economic equalizers. Where we will even the most expensive private school does not serve gifted better than public (except for small classrooms and fancy facilities).

The question to review with your family is what options are available and sustainable. Within the options, what can they provide to meet the academic and social needs of a gifted child? Grinity is right on. Observe. Administrators at private and public toss the word differentiation around like candy - and in both cases it is often meaningless.

I'd want my kid to have the option that gets them time apart with like-minded kids, challenge (but more than challenge at that age - the absence of pure, boring, repetition)... It is unfortunate that you have to pause and wonder - is my kid too smart for our schools.