DD5 will be going into K next year, and we're confused about what to do with her. For two years, she's been going twice a week to a private school for preschool (that also goes up to 5th grade). I would love to send her there for K, but financially we cannot do it. The owner of the school wants to meet with me to see what we can work out because she's afraid DD5 will be overlooked and/or bored in public school K. I haven't met with her yet to see what she has to offer, but I'm surely thankful for her generosity. But then again, would public school be just fine??

Public school has changed so much since DH and I went to school (and we're not even that old!), and many of the new teaching methods I hear about leave much to be desired, IMO.

So what are your experiences with having your gifted children in public school??? I've heard a lot of bad things on these forums and I've heard some good things -- so what's the consensus?

(Obviously each school district is not alike, but I wanted to put this feeler out there.)

For background on our case, DD5 has been tested at preschool and is reading at a 3rd grade level. She completes 1st and 2nd grade math worksheets here with me when she wants to do "homework" with her older cousin. DD5 is a very self-directed learner -- we only give things to her that she wants or to keep her ever-busy mind occupied so I can get some peace!! smile

I talked with the public school today and we should be meeting within the next few weeks to discuss the situation. So far, they appear open to the possibility of acceleration, but they also told me that DD5 would not be pulled out of her kindergarten class for reading (she gets pulled out now in preschool). That discourages me, but then again, I'm new to all of this (and still in a bit of GT denial to boot)... I feel like a lost puppy!

These darn adult decisions!

Last edited by HoosierMommy; 02/16/11 01:13 PM.