Yes, probably. Two of my grandparents most definitely were, my grandfather is extremely intelligent as far as I am aware. He's a physicist and an inventor of sorts but he's not very nice so we are estranged so I can't ask him about it frown
I recall sitting a test in grade four with the rest of my class and when the results came back there was a hushed discussion of my marks amongst the teachers and my mother. One of the teacher's own children let me in on the fact that my result was very very high but that I wasn't supposed to know about it. I was back home last week and was going through some old papers of mine in my mother's cupboard and found a test where I scored 80.5 out of 80. The same test had been given to the whole 4/5/6 class and the younger grades were given a handicap score of a few points which is how I managed the ridiculous score. I find it really upsetting to know that the teachers knew I was needing more, I was clearly advanced, and they did nothing! I was so incredibly bored in primary school! I'd sit in silence listening to the teacher desperate to scream in frustration. Unfortunately I was very much a people pleaser and I never once complained. I worked for high grades (and, by extension, approval,) and never for the joy of learning (until I taught myself to play the clarinet as a young teenager, finally something that challenged me!)Now I am one of those adults who never really learned to work for anything and I've not been particularly successful at university. I think only now at 30 do I have the work ethic to be really successful (and by that I mean work to my potential), and I shall soon see as I start a law degree in March...
Geomamma I definitely hear you on the "how" to do it differently!