Yup, my DS6 has always been a wheel guy. He started with regular cars and trucks, moved to construction equipment, memorized the makes and models of every vehicle on the road, moved on to NASCAR, and now is enthralled by Transformers because they change forms. He likes the engineering aspect of them.

I don't think we did anything too exciting with his interests though, I'm afraid. That's one of the reasons I regret that we didn't ID him sooner.

He memorized the Consumer Reports annual car edition when he was potty training around age 2. I guess not every parent would go there with their child. We would walk through car sale lots and parking lots for his amusement.

He liked to draw cars and trucks. (To attach to a different thread, his drawings of people were nothing special, but from the moment he could hold a pencil, his cars and trucks were quite obviously advanced for his age, complete with windshields, bumpers, etc.) We encouraged this artwork.

He created giant interstates with ALL of his MANY Hot Wheels cars on them and wove long stories out of the backups and accidents that ensued. He called this game "Traffic."

If I had it to do over, I would probably have gotten him more toys that allowed him to build his own vehicles. He was under age 2 at the time, and though he didn't put things in his mouth, I was worried about the "choking hazard: not for kids under age three" warnings on the toys that came with wheels. But I think he'd have loved to build his own cars and trucks with Legos and such.

My husband has a cousin who owns construction equipment, so we took him on a tour of the vehicles. He impressed the cousin with everything he knew, including the correct names and uses of all the equipment. They had quite a good talk together, and DS was not yet 2yo at the time. Field trips like that seemed to work well for us.

I don't know if any of that is very helpful...We weren't terribly creative, I'm afraid.

As for LOGs...Have you checked out the Ruf book? Hers is the one that helped me to figure out where our son was in terms of LOG. However, DS was already 6 at the time. I'm still not sure what's up with my 3.5yo, even after reading Ruf's book. I think it's a bit easier to distinguish LOGs when they're older, especially if there's a 2E issue, which is possibly what's up with my DS3. With him we're in "wait and see" mode, and maybe you have to be, too?

If your son is happy at preschool, has friends (such as they do at that age), and is not having problems, then things are probably going along just fine. If you see problems developing or about to develop, then you probably have to start worrying. I do think it's okay to take preemptive measures, but I also think that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Aside from the other parents at your school, it sounds like nothing is broken. Am I reading you right there?

If so, hang out here, keep watching, keep reading, but don't worry until you have to. There's plenty of time for that later! smile

Kriston