Hi, haven't been around, but did check on this thread. Good points. DS can catch, but he's not the best. But he's coming along. And I think he is visual-spatial, too.

In any event, he seems willing to read more and I'm taking advantage of it. His choice the other day was the Star Wars Visual Dictionary - brief blurbs under each picture. The advanced vocabulary doesn't bother him - he has as good a chance of sounding out long words as he does short. The big issue for him is too many words on a page, and basic phonics - knowing how to pronounce, tion, ous, ai, etc. That will come with practice. And I ordered a Geronimo Stilton book or two, and he spent a long time looking at them in the car the other day, so I think we're onto something.

And I'm thinking it's time to try those Scooby Doo mystery games again, which have clues to be read. I see that he is reading short blurbs here and there, so he's definitely moving in the right direction. And he won't complain about reading as much.

He clearly loses his place, but he's defensive about it. I tried to get him to read using an index card, but he refused. And his OT has one of those colored plastic cards, which he wouldn't use either. I forgot to ask her about visual tracking. I know he was tested for visual perception and visual motor activiity, but don't know if either of these are related to visual tracking (he did great on the first and within normal limits on the second - so if so, no visual tracking problems)

And he has always loved being read to. His endurance is a lot greater than ours in that area. We just have to make sure that we continue to do it, and I need to find some more books to read to him.

Good advice. Thanks, everyone!