I'd love some suggestions for DS, who can understand almost anything read to him (e.g., A Briefer History of Time, the original Swiss Family Robinson), but doesn't understand what he reads unless it is very short and very simple. He says that's why he doesn't like to read - too much time decoding (he calls it spelling), and I think he doesn't see the forest for the trees.

I think this is similar to the working memory issue re: writing. His teachers did a fabulous job breaking down the writing this year and he's really come along. Even claims he likes it.

It's why I signed him up for EPGY language arts. I know he'll read sentences, but paragraphs with a lot of words on the page are tougher.

Also, he has a reading tutor who is supposed to be doing Wilson with him, but stopped b/c he doesn't like it. Definitely need some help. I'll talk to his teachers and the tutor, but I figure someone here must have some ideas. At least he is now willing to read. Maybe we should just keep to easier books?

He loves computer games, so if you have any suggestions...

Thanks.