Questions,
I still have 'questions' about you son's visual system. How is he at catching a ball? Moving through space? there is s specialty called 'behavioral optometry' which did find troubles for my 'late reading' son, which I didn't get treatment for because I thought it was 'snake oil.' - and because DS was older and stubburner at the time.

Limited working memory will also contribute to his frustrations, so I would be double-triple sure, to keep providing him with audio books of various topics that appeal to him: Drag him to the library, go to the adult or young adult 'non-fiction' section, and let him choose a few to try. You can allow him to listen at a particular time together (in the car, while you cook), or on his own.

I would also look for something like the Guiness Book of world records for him to read silently. Although my son is a very good reader now (tested at 12th grade, is that possible?)my DS loves little bits of information. Apparently there is something about this generation that wants soundbites in the first place. I got Schott's Almanac 2007 for him through Interlibrary loan and although the wish I could protect him from the adult content, he was, as predicted in heaven. It was like flypaper for him.

I also wonder about silent reading. For a kid with working memory issues, they are likely to enjoy silent reading on a much higher level than they could reading aloud. Just assume that if their head is buried in their, then they are doing ok. I remember my DS waiting for his OT appointment (age 7) silently reading 'Artimis Fowel' and actually losing a whole page when he turned the page one time. I pointed it out and he denied it. I read for another 4 chapter before declaring the book 'too yucky' (I happen to agree) but my point is that it's ok to let him read harder fiction even if he misses 30% of it, if he seems to be enjoying himself. (Sort of reminds me how when the child isn't bottle fed you just can't know how many ounces of milk he got, but there are ways, like wet diapers, that show indirectly) Of course you may still work on reading aloud, but like the distinction between handwriting and composition, remember to let there be a distinction between Reading (aloud) and Reading (silently, for fun).

Could he have read Bunnicula silently?

Anyway, the key to 2E kids is to spend about twice as much energy feeding the gifts as one does with helping the weaknesses. Please don't let the school mentality affect your vision.

I hope I'm on the right track here - appologies if I've missed the mark, ok?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com