Thank you for the anecdote. I definitely identify with the concept of believing I am always right. And respect being a very major factor in how I deal with other people. If I don't have respect for someone, or they've lost it, I have a very hard time accepting their perspective on any given topic. I really don't know how to make improvements in that area. Not saying that I am unwilling to try, but it is why I am reaching out.

I can also see how that from my point of view, not respecting someone, is to them, being pretentious. I get defensive because they have misperceived where my attitude is stemming from, and I insinctively resort to "they are not smart" because they are not perceptive enough to differentiate.

Do I go out of my way to explain it to them? I don't know how to make myself respect someone, when I feel so strongly that they have to earn it, or at least not lose it. I am a respectful person, and I give it up front, but I do sense that it can be lost quite quickly. Often with an offhand remark that seems to be lacking foresight.

Thanks again. It seems I need to work on identifying the things I can change about me some more. And it's hard, I'm rather fond of myself smile