Originally Posted by MegMeg
So the move is definite, eh? Good luck and happy trails! Are the schools there good, and/or acknowledge gifted needs? Are you thinking about private schools?

For myself, I plan on keeping Hanni in a play-based setting as long as possible. After that, we'll see.

Yep, it's going to be quite a change! Thanks!

So the public schools aren't but we're definitely going private (thankfully this move comes with new jobs that will make this possible). The school that I'm drolling over (multi-age Montessori) would be a tough fit because it's only half-days at her age and almost twice the price of the other ones we're looking at. Plus, I'd be working full time so we'd need to find some sort of childcare in the afternoon. I know that school allows grade skipping and has a gifted program (and it would be good to start as young as possible so that we don't have to deal with tougher admissions policies as she gets older). As far as I can tell there is no financial age.

There's another one that is more in our price range but would double our commute and DD wouldn't be able to start for another 1.5 years. It also has a gifted program and lots of honors/AP classes at least for the high school level but doesn't do the multi-age thing. Both those schools are bilingual, international schools (DH's preference).

It seems like they have a few other Montessori schools or more child-led ones at better prices but they are just in the local language, which DH really doesn't want. Today we'll probably start contacting a few of them and finding out what they have to offer (unfortunately, their websites are pretty barren..). I'm freaking out a bit because we won't be able to visit anywhere before making a final decision. While I speak the local language, mostly what I know I about home stuff so researching schools is difficult for me. DH needs to do it but he's also busy with a ton of work stuff at the moment so it's been hard!

Another thing I'm worried about is how we're going to get her tested when it comes to that point (and in what language!). Right now English is by far her best language but that might change significantly depending on what school we send her to, ahh!