I had a child just like this. She cried when someone else cried. It was like she felt their same pain. To this day, 8 years later, she's still this way. She has very strong feelings for things and cares deeply about worldly issues. She has learned coping skills for this, with age, but it doesn't go away. It's part of who they are. It's not a bad thing... there are strengths in a child with that level of empathy, but you have to understand how they think. My DD clung to me and chased after me in preschool and I thought I was never going to make it through. She gets upset by movies that have sad parts or books etc. But, as I said, now she understands why she feels that way. She handles it better and we do a lot of talking. she comes to me and we have a mature conversation about how she feels and it helps her to know she's normal and it's ok. I don't think it's anything you are or aren't doing. it's just who she is. Embrace it! Yes, she is different, but that's OKAY! the sooner you accept that she's different than other kids, the easier it is to handle. there is a reason the GT population is at the 1% and 2% on a bell curve. They ARE different and have different needs. I recommend looking into the emotional needs of the gifted and you will see she is totally normal!!!!!!