How big is your school district and are you dealing with principal or a super or ??? I am lucky that I am in a fairly small district - 1 large HS, 2 Middle schools, a handful of elementary, and I knew if I had to I could go to a board of ed. meeting and make a big stink (although I had heard the super. would probably be helpful) - luckily it didn't come to that.

In a big district, if you are dealing with a central administrative office you will have to go about it more formally and with proper documentation. I would also ask for what you want and what you think it allowed under the policy. You don't have to go on and on, just make the request, quote the policy, and show it applies to you.

For example:

I write to request that my son, DS, be accelerated from 3rd grade to 5th grade for math and reading.

According to District Policy #55-555, subject acceleration is allowed when [blah blah blah - quote the policy verbatim].

Our son meets the criteria outlined in #55-555 because [scores, tests, teachers recommend, whatever it is].

Because our son falls within #55-555, we would like to meet immediately to discuss our request so that he educational needs can be met in a more appropriate manner. We expect to hear from you by X date."

One thing that can help is to find out from a special ed parent what protections they have. I am not an expert at all in that, but I think in our state the school has to reply within 10 business days to any requests, communication, etc. If you follow what they are used to with the special ed. requests, you might find they are programmed to respond.

Cat