Originally Posted by 10applesupontop
Ok...I am feeling a bit jealous of all the little ones on this board who seem to have these great parents advocating for them. I am specifically talking about the little ones. The toddlers. The toddlers who are already in school and excelling. They are being recognized and accelerated.

DD's in daycare on and off (currently with a part-time babysitter but will be back at daycare next month). She really isn't recognized. It's in a third language for her that she just started learning 2 months ago so her language skills appear to be completely normal for her age (almost 20 months) despite that fact that she can speak quite well in her other two languages. They have commented about how curious she is and how well she understands and gets along with others but that's about it and I'm completely ok with that. Most of the workers there didn't even know her age until a week ago!

She's in daycare because I work. Otherwise she'd be at home with me and I really do miss that time with her. It does help because it gets a lot of her energy out (she's extremely social) but it's also ramped up her separation anxiety.

Originally Posted by 10applesupontop
I am a stay at home mom for crying out loud. This is my job. Why should I feel so guilty for not putting her in school yet?

One, I think it is because I worry that she is missing out on an oppourtunity to get ahead. Silly?

And two, I feel like it would be nice to both have her be recognized officialy and get some help. Petty?

Does anyone else feel/felt this way? I don't know where I should be heading my efforts. If I should be looking for that magical school or just concentrate on making a happy home for my toddler.

I can understand that sentiment. I live in a part of the country that is CRAZY competitive. I had a lady on the bus yesterday asking me if DD was talking already and then started to trying to get her to talk to prove it! DD was totally not interested because she was extremely tired and sick to boot so then the lady had to comment on that too! mad It's annoying because you get moms who are just insane about milestones and the few times I've accidentally let something slip it was always a mistake. FORTUNATELY, I have met a great group of moms and I try and shelter myself in their company (and all their kids seems to be on the smart side too, which helps).

Anyways, there's such a big push for preschool it's annoying but I keep reminding myself, what's the point? She knows her colors, letters, body parts, numbers etc. She can get socialization from play dates and I work part-time so I get to squeeze some me time in there too. Plus we save money and I get to hang out with a pretty cool kid (albeit a very energetic one that makes me very tired every day!!!). laugh