Originally Posted by AlexsMom
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
the guy who comes to fix my dishwasher gets paid $100 for working one hour.

I'll caution you not to conflate that with "the person who works at the office gets paid $Y for working one hour."

If your dishwasher guy is self-employed, he pays for wear and tear on his vehicle, licensing, continuing education, supplies and tools, advertising, insurance, employer-borne payroll taxes, and other "overhead" out of that $100 - and got paid nothing for the time it took to drive to and from your house. If he's someone else's employee, he doesn't have the overhead, but also didn't get paid anything like $100, even if that's what you paid to his employer. Rule of thumb in the service industry I'm most familiar with is that the employee's gross wage is 1/3 of their hourly billing rate, so a tech billed at $100 an hour might have a wage of $30 an hour (or $60k a year).

Spending money on an expensive hobby is more an issue of limiting outgo in other areas than it is in having significant income.

True - but $60K/year is much better than being a BS-holding unemployed college graduate with student loan debt!

And one of the subcontractors for my house was complaining about how much work he has when he'd really rather just be fishing.

Actually the dishwasher guy got $35 for the service call for just showing up.

Other jobs aren't fairing so well. I just moved. It cost $1500 to move me 2miles. I have a 1000sq.ft house. One of the movers said just a couple of years ago, that same job would cost $2500 but there is a glutton of movers now and he has to keep dropping his prices to be competitive.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/25/10 06:32 PM.