Just a couple of things I'm unsure of here:

1. I don't understand why the pharmacist questioned the prescription from the neurologist. I would have thought the neurologist was in a better position to judge the type and severity of the migraine and therefore the most appropriate treatment. Based on the evidence in front of him the doctor may have felt it wasn't appropriate to try something else first.

2. Was the script for Imigran tablets or nasal spray? If it was nasal spray then it is safe for use in adolescents 12 - 17 years of age.

I'm not telling you anything new by saying that all medication has potential side effects even the ones that most people would regard as innocuous. In any given circumstance you have to weigh the pros and cons and make your judgement based on that. Why are you seeking advice from a neurologist for your son's migraines? I would imagine the answer is, because they are impacting on his ability to function normally. If this is indeed the case then do the risks of a side effect outweigh the potential for him to lessen the effect of the migraine. I don't think you can make your son take the medication, he is an intelligent young man and ultimately he will make the decision but at some point what he will have to consider is his quality of life and the impact he is having on other members of the family.