When my son went to the neurologist about his migraine headaches he was given a prescription for Imitrex. The pharmacist at the base pharmacy refused to fill the prescription because my son is only 12 and the pharmacist thought he needed to try other medications first.

When we went back to the neurologist he prescribed Amitryptyline to prevent the migraines and he said it should also help with my son's leg pain at night.

My son and I already have a problem with trusting doctors after some things happened in my family, like my mother going in for a routine surgery and coming out with severe memory loss and unable to care for herself. She was only 64. They say there can be "complications" with any surgery. The complications in this case totally devastated my family. Instead of enjoying his retirement years, my dad has taken care of my mother for over seven years. He can't go anywhere because it is hard to find a caregiver that will change adult diapers. A nursing home would be too expensive at $4000 a month. I live next door and my son and I take care of my mother when my dad has to go anywhere so we are a little more aware of possible complications than a lot of people. Some of the medications my mother took afterward had really bad side effects and my son saw all of this. It is hard to put this out of our minds.

Amitryptyline has some really scary possible side effects. We were told he can't take aspirin because there is a chance of getting Reyes syndrome and he can't take Ibuprofin or Tylenol every day. My son read about the possible side effects and he says he doesn't want to risk taking the medication. He would rather live with some pain as he has been doing for years. When he is older he will be able to take over the counter migraine medication that I think is safer. My husband wants him to try the Amitryptyline because my son has so much trouble sleeping and the neurologist said it might help him sleep even though I read that it can make restless legs worse and my son has restless legs like I do.

Should I make my son take the medication? I can't help but think of my mother telling me about her bad feeling about having the surgery and I didn't really listen and told her everything would be fine.