Hi Jane

I just wanted to add not to worry about the acclerated reading program and the school or kids at his new school thinking he is cheating.

My DC attend a school with an AR program, they do not get credit for the books they read until they do take a comprehension test.

It is also on a sliding scale. For every question missed on the test they get a % off. This depends on how many points the book is worth.

EX: My DS is reading "Mysterious Benedict Society" it is worth 18 AR points. If he misses a question he would recieve 13 points if he misses 1/2 he gets nothing.

He is the link to AR website:

http://www.arbookfind.com/

The only thing I didn't like with our schools AR program was how it was monitored. The kids have to take the tests on "their time" recess, lunch or their library time. This was KILLER for my son. He has social issues and needs that time to bond with his classmates. The other issue I had was setting up the exam.
My son read a novel and went into the library to take his test.
He had to look up the test (library staffed with parent volunteers...this one on her cell).
He keyed in the wrong author and missed 40% which gave him no credit for the book. I now look up the test number before they take their tests... To make sure they are taking the right exam.
There is also no redo's.

Good luck at your new school...