Originally Posted by gratefulmom
Nonetheless, I gave him a Harry Potter middle school reading comp. quiz, and he aced it. He then proceeded to argue a point with me by rapidly opening the book to where the passage was. That tells me they CAN comprehend that quickly!

I missed this detail the first time I read this post. My son also exhibits this type of recall - knowing the location of material in the book. I remember only the story, not the location of the words. The day my son read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I picked up the book to quiz him because I was unconvinvced that he had read it cover to cover since he just hadn't had that much time to read that morning. I don't remember the story and in looking for something to ask hom about, I noticed a footnote. When I asked him about the content of the footnote, he rolled his eyes and said, "Mom, I don't read THOSE parts." Further inquiry revealed that "those parts" are footnotes. So despite his contention that he doesn't read them, he obviously recalled not only the content, but the location of the content.

This seems like a more...??visual?? approach to reading than my own. He also can't sound anythging out. His spelling is atrocious and his pronounciation of words he knows from reading and not from conversation it pretty funny at times. My other son isn't like this. He tests higher, but he doesn't read as compulsively and I don't think he's as fast.