Originally Posted by JaneSmith
Strangely, I don't use the library all that much. Somehow my kids don't get as much out of the library. Something about the way it's organized. ...

When I search online before I go in to make a list of books with a certain theme or topic, half the time the good ones are checked out. Then when I get there, others are misplaced. Or they are there, but they just don't pique my kids' interest that week and then they are overdue before they are read.

Jane S -
You seem to have a system that works really well for you - and finding books for advanced 9 year olds is really tough - but I have a suggestion for the library. At our local they have a secret method for seperating the trashy books for the classics. They put the classics on top of the stacks. There is also a group of YA novels that get selected by out state each year that the library buys multiple copies of so that many kids can read them - and those books are often tolerable - and all placed together on the shelves.

So the suggestion is to ask the children's librarian at the various possible branches and see if any of the branches have a similar 'secret organization' system. Cultivating a Children's Librarian can be a wonderful thing.

DS13's favorite book at that time was Eragon. He didn't like the sequal as well.

I like Lowis Lowry and Ursula LeGuin's Gifts series.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com