Originally Posted by Iucounu
Well, strictly speaking, he didn't recall the content of the footnote, did he? How could he, not having read it? And are you saying that he remembered the page numbers of all the footnotes that appeared in the book? (Or did he just tell you he doesn't read footnotes?)

I wasn't clear - he did recall the content - he was just annoyed at being quizzed and was making the point that the footnotes ought to be off-limits. Obviously he had read it, otherwise he wouldn't have know the source was a footnote. I didn't preface the question with "This is from a footnote...." I guess he could have deduced that it was from a footnote if he had perfect recall of the enire book and could rule out any other location by elimination. But I am pretty sure that's not the case! I was just surprised that he knew the source of the content was a footnote. If someone asked me questions about a book I don't think I would be able to distinguish between what I had read in the footnotes and was was in the text. But maybe most people can?

I've never asked him about page numbers but I am sure he wouldn't recall them. If he had a memory like that I would have noticed by now. He has good memory, but I don't think it's exceptional. I *do* think there's something a little "off" in his wiring but it has not caused any real problems. I am just concerned about his writing, partially because he is starting a new school and i don't think it's a great fit and I am feeling guilty and anxious.