Originally Posted by AlexsMom
"Epitome" is the one that sticks out in my memory. I recognized and understood it as a read word, and recognized and understood it as a spoken word, but was well into my 20s before I realized they were the same word.

*lol* I bet we could start a whole thread about this. smile Mine were "awry" and "censored." I thought they were pronounced AW'-REE and KUN SOARED.' Like AlexsMom, I didn't realize until teens that that word I was reading was the same word I spoke as "awry".

I figured out censored somewhat earlier. I'll date myself here -- I remember seeing a censored sign being put on Daffy Duck's (or Elmer Fudd's, etc...) mouth when they were saying angry words. In my mind, I likened it to having a "condemned" sign put on their mouths, and sounded out the word similarly until I was in 5th or 6th grade.

It's really funny to have these conversations with my DC. DS8 understands so many of the words by context, but pronounces them incorrectly. Sometimes he insists that I've got the word wrong until we look it up in the dictionary.