Hi all,

My DS11 really enjoyed to Explore test again yesterday. It was his second time taking it and he felt very confident that it went well. However, he did not bring a watch, and ran out of time for three questions overall, he thinks in science and reading. He has always had a slow and methodical work style, so I understand how it happened.

We signed DS up for the Explore because our talent search (through Belin-Blank) only offers the Explore to sixth grade students. We later learned that the Midwest Academic Talent Search offers the SAT or ACT, in addition to the Explore, to sixth grade students who score at or above the 97 percentile on grade level, so we signed him up for the ACT later this spring. I really wish the PLAN test was available to middle school kids.

Both our kids have a tendency to miss easy questions, while correctly answering some more advanced questions, so I don�t expect a perfect score in any sub-test. Well, maybe math could be a possibility, but he fluctuates between 100% and 85% on his school math tests due to simple mistakes. However, they aren�t allowed even calculators at school; much less multiple choice for tests, so maybe the simple mistakes won�t be a factor on the Explore.

In any case, we haven�t made a big deal of this test this year. Aside from testing last year, his prep consisted of reading the Explore booklet on the way to the testing site. He has been completely task saturated with his science fair project for the last several weeks.

I�m glad all the kids enjoyed to test yesterday and my advice to those whose children will test in February is to BRING A WATCH!