Originally Posted by Dottie
Mommy2, if your daughter found the test "comfy" if not easy, at barely 9, I'm sure she did quite well! DDalmost11 was pretty comfy this go around, but last year at almost 10 was somewhat overwhelmed (but still had reasonable scores!)

I think the ACT/SAT is absolutely the way to go for 6th, for the HG+, but maybe not MG. DD took both the SAT and the ACT last year, as a very young 7th grader, and the experience was overwhelming for her. Still, the Explore would have had ceiling issues, so perhaps that was the better choice? I can say for certain that DS9 won't be Exploring in 6th! Our main talent search uses the SAT for 7th and 8th.

Speaking of...there was a boy at the Explore yesterday that was easily taller than me, and probably taller than DD13, so maybe about 5'10". I thought my kids were tall! Do 6th grade boys really get that big? He spoke, and his voice hadn't yet changed, but man did he tower over the other testers!

I think DD9's assessment of the test is partly because she viewed it as a "fun" test that she couldn't fail and it eased any nerves she may have had. She said a couple of the math questions she could narrow down to 2 and then work it backwards from the two answers. Not sure if this was a good strategy, but she said she could make one answer work this way.

DD9 is also very tall, but not THAT tall, LOL. She is all legs and I suspect she will be taller than me in the next 2 years. I'm only 5'3" so its not that hard to do, but I think she got DHs genes when it comes to height.