I love that "silent e can be damaging at this age".

I am not being critical but the whole statement, "let a kid be a kid". What does that mean? I am on one extreme with the overscheduling and so many kids are on the other watching TV. I will ride my bike to pick her up after school today. She goes to the playground for 25 minutes after school with her chums, then we go on the bike to gymnastics.

Is she suffering because she get 25 minutes and not 60? This summer she goes to swim or tennis camp in the morning and spends the rest of the day on the beach. Except for a weekly piano lesson and practice everyday. The kid in scheduled day camp from 8 am to 5 pm. Do they get to be a kid more?

I am not sure how you let a kid be a kid. My child does not have any siblings, does not have to help with a younger sister or brother while "mommy gets dinner ready". Do those kinds of chores get in the way of being a kid?

When you start talking about giving responsibilities, including practicing piano or keeping your room tidy, when does it become good habits and not allowing a child to be a child?

I read Ellipses with real interest, especially her phrase, "too many gifties that fail".

DD is still 5, for a few more months. And sometimes I think I am so crazy with the worry, so it is good to know I am not the only one obsessing.

Ren