There's a different between encouraging and "pushing." Pushing for me anyway involved a lot of angry words and guilt laid upon me from my parents, mostly my mother. There was never any room for experimentation it was always "black and white" and for me...well my world has ALWAYS been grey.

If my daughter is interested in a sport or learning an instrument...it will be a requirement for me that she stick with it for the year and if she decides she is no longer interested after a year, then she can quit. I was never given the option of quitting or the option of experimenting with the music. For me...music was painful to my ears if a wrong note was played. I'd be sitting at a concert and a wrong note would just sound like nails scratching on a black board. I couldn't even stand my own wrong notes so I was quite the perfectionist and would get very angry with myself if I made mistakes...I didn't need anyone else breathing down my neck telling me about mistakes I made...particularly since my mother had no clue how to play the piano.

Your DD sounds like she is looking for attention. If you're natural inclincation is to not say anything...then it sounds like to me she needs you to say more "naturally" (as best you can) in order for her to feel that you're interested in what she's doing. For her she doesn't have enough of her own internal drive to keep her motivated and is trying to tell you the best way she can that she needs your help to encourage her; to notice that she's trying, or not as the case may be.

I wish you the best of luck!