There is also a book calle "The Five Love Langues of Children." It is a fascinating book and honestly it has helped my relationship with my DD. It applies to all types of kids...gifted or not in my opinion. Children have a natural love language and although praise, affirmation, acts of service, etc. all help in making a child feel loved...children have a primary love language (or 2) that they identify more with though it is not something they can always necessarily express to you, so they will wind up doing things behaviorally to get their needs met.

My DD's primary love language is quality time. She thorougly enjoys our attention and it never seems enough to be honest so it can quite exhausting at times. Boundaries still have to exist so that she understands that she can't be the center of everyone's world 24/7. Affirmation also seems to be a strong "love language" of hers.

Take care and though raising children is probably the most difficult thing we do...I would also say it's the most rewarding as well!