I too have periods where I wonder what the positives of parenting a gifted child are, but here's what I love:

- DD4's humour, which often comes out of nowhere and when you least expect it.
- I think it was mentioned earlier, but that you get to skip some of the less interesting books and games, or at least do them for a shorter period.
- Her kindness
- That she is really good company (as I am sure many 'normal' kids are too), and we can chat about interesting things.
- That I know she knows more than she lets on (sometimes we get to see just how far ahead she is when she forgets we're in the room), which makes me curious and excited about the future.
- Her intense, intense love for her dad and I.
- The look of satisfaction when she's really had to think to figure something out, it's like a light goes on behind her eyes.
- That I have learnt so much about me in the process of learning about her - it's been very liberating.

Good luck with the sleep! Is it possible that your DS is not so much lacking social skills as in the wrong social group? I've always thought it must be such hard work trying to learn how to interact socially when you're very different from everyone around you (it's hard enough as an adult!). Wish you all the best,

Ari