Originally Posted by ColinsMum
I think we must be at cross purposes. You don't think improving is part of growing up? At all? Or is it that you don't think you have any role in helping her improve as she grows up? I'm not talking about helping my DS to go up the percentiles as he gets older, not about him getting smarter relative to his peer group - just smarter (etc.) in the sense that he's 6 now and I hope when he's 7, or at least when he's 16, he will be smarter than he is now, otherwise he's had no growth in that area.

Maybe it's just a word choice issue, but both your posts seem to imply that smarter is better, and I just don't see it that way. Of course I expect that DD will change as she grows. Of course I hope that she grows into a healthy, happy person. And of course I don't think that it is healthy to stop developing cognitively or physically. I also don't think that DD would be happy if she wasn't learning new things.

But as far as my role is concerned, no, I don't think it is my job to "improve" her in the areas of intelligence, happiness, politeness, or friendliness. (Nor do I, as a doting parent, think that she could be improved upon.) My job is to keep her safe, to love her, and to help her when she asks me for help.