I have some very detailed books about TOM (though i have to dig them out to get titles) and its explained more as something that develops from very early on and becomes more "set" by about age 5.. An example of early TOM in young toddlers is the ability to point to something they want to show you (because its interesting to them or because they want it).. If you point you are showing someone elses "mind" what you want in order for them to also "see" it.. So they know that you don't also see it. Kids on the spectrum sometimes develop pointing late and often drag the caregiver to an item if they want it.Sometimes explained as "lack of shared interest" or something like that.. Hope i explained that right.

I have seen a few different versions of the Sally Anne test and some are not as good as others- like the telephone game- it gets changed slightly as its "passed along". Its setting up something in an artificial way, though its a good starting point. Also the stat about 80% of kids not passing from 6-16 might be misleading because the test should be passed by age 5. So we can't tell from that stat how many of the kids would have failed it at 5, but now have it.

irene