Originally Posted by Artana
Another thing is that my older son is really cuddly and has lots of eye contact with me, but he doesn't really show tight affection to other people. Even my mother, who he adores, has noted this. I was told by several professionals that this is very common with AS, so it's hard, sometimes, for a parent to see the social disengagement.

This is one of the reasons I thought my son could not have Aspergers, even though he has some things in common with children with Aspergers. My son always loved to hug and be hugged by me, his dad, and his sister. He and his friends in the acting class hug a lot. If my son's acting class friends see us outside of acting class they come up and hug us. They often put their hands on shoulders, pat backs, high 5's, play fight/wrestle, that kind of thing. It is obvious they all like each other because they are very demonstrative with their affection.

My son also never had a problem making eye contact. His eyes are very expressive. I can easily tell when he is about to make some smart remark about something. He loves to tease me, but he lives to tease his older sister. I love to listen to their verbal sparring matches. It always looked to me like this could be considered a social skill because he has to know just how far he can go without hurting the other person's feelings. He is able to sense when the other person is emotionally down, like when his sister broke up with her longtime boyfriend. He knew when to back off the teasing and find something to compliment her on instead. He always knows just what to say and how to make her laugh when she is feeling down, which is why she always called to talk to him and not me.