We gravitate towards series as well. When my kids like something they tend to want to stick with it rather than try something new, and since my older son reads so fast it's more practical to get a series rather than a single book.

Other than Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, my DS8 has enjoyed the Little House series and the Chronicles of Narnia.

He has also enjoyed the History of the World series, which he goes back to periodically. My DS7 has recently gotten into Percy Jackson and also enjoys Roald Dahl, but he doesn't read as voraciously so keeping him supplied hasn't been an issue.

Sterling Point Books has some interesting titles. My DS8 has read D-Day, the Deadly Hunt (about the Bismark), Pearl Harbor Attack, Alexander the Great, and one more about the guy Indian Jones was based on.

DS8 also enjoyed the first two City of Ember books, but he didn't love them and I think the books push a "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" philosophy that I can do without.

I tried reading White Fang to them, but it didn't go over well. I loved Jack London when I was a little older - I think it will have to wait.

The Tom Swift series was recommended to be by a friend, but my kids haven't read any of them yet. I think it's nice to go back and read older books. I'm also thinking about trying out some adult/young adult older science fiction. I tried Ender's Game a while ago, but it was another no go.

This is a good thread.