Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onthegomom books to read issues. - 12/11/09 04:06 PM
My DS9 is an almost obssesive reader. He gets really upset if he has no books from the library. We do have a nice little libary at home for backup. He has recently told me he is very bored and needs a new series but does respond well to my suggestions anymore. I have offered him flyers, websites, Children's book guides, ects. Our neighborhood librian is not so great with suggestions. I told him he needs to make and effort because it will not magically happen. I asked him what types of books he is interested and he doesn't know. It seems like nothing will please him. He would like a new series.

He is sensitive. I asked if some books scared him and he said No. He has also been reading shorter books but he was very into the Droon series. I thought that was ok.

Any insight to why he might be so stuck? Maybe he has Reading Overload Syndrome? any body know the cure or have experience?
Posted By: vicam Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 04:20 PM
Guardians of Ga Hoolie series. There are 15 of them and I heard a movie will be out next year. It is about a group of owls. My 8 year old boy is on book 11
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 04:52 PM
He will try one of these. I see there is a CD of all the stories but our library has it listed as missing. thank you.
Posted By: kimck Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 05:14 PM
We are very much struggling with this with DS newly 9. His reading level is well beyond his interest level. Not many series draw him in unless they're not at all formulaic. He doesn't have the sensitivity issue and I'll let him read whatever he wants. He has been rereading a lot of books, which drives me crazy. I'd like to be exposed to new material regularly since we're homeschooling. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 05:41 PM
Ds9 has gone whole hog for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, longer books but very fun apparently (recommended by someone on this board). He has traditionally been extremely hard to find books for, so it has been delightful that the last couple of series I've found from this board have been huge hits.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 05:44 PM
kimck - thanks I'm glad I'm not alone. it's strange because he use to read anything I would give him. He has many interests and is ambitious. I really would like an idea what this could be about.

What do you mean by formulaic?
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 06:02 PM
I'm not sure about the issue of getting him to take your suggestions, but I can add a couple of suggestions for fun adventure series that maybe you could just place on the nightstand next to his bed for him to pick up at his will:

- "Time Warp Trio" series (like Magic Tree House but funny and for slightly older boys in particular)
- "Chronicles of the Moon" series (12year old (?) boy and girl go on archeological digs around the world and gather clues to a bigger mystery)
- "Chet Gecko Mysteries" series (a gumshoe-style 4th grade detective, who is a gecko, solves mysteries at school, and has a clever, wisecracking sense of humor)
- "Spy X" series (11 year old twins whose mother, a spy, goes missing and they have to solve riddles and codes to gather information and eventually find their mom)
- "Chasing Vermeer", "The Calder Game", and "The Wright 3" by Blue Balliett (Smart kids solve riddles, mazes,coded messages, and other clues as they work to solve mysteries related to painting, sculpture, and architectural masterpieces)

HTH!
Posted By: kimck Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by onthegomom
kimck - thanks I'm glad I'm not alone. it's strange because he use to read anything I would give him. He has many interests and is ambitious. I really would like an idea what this could be about.

What do you mean by formulaic?

Oh, I just mean he could easily predict what's going to happen by what happens in earlier books. My DS would read anything I'd hand him a year or 2 ago too. So annoying! Hopefully it's a stage!

He LOVED the Percy Jackson series too and just got done reading it for the 2nd time. Now we are reading D'auliere's Greek Myths out loud (DS actually read this before reading Percy Jackson). My 5 year old loves it.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 06:47 PM
He has agreed to try some of these books. Thank you.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: books to read issues. - 12/11/09 07:28 PM
I'm so glad you have this thread. DS8 does tons of reading in class and we are almost out of ideas for him. He gets very upset when he finishes a series and we don't have one on stand-by. It's especially hard if we forget the book at home and he has nothing to do in class.

He's on the last Harry Potter right now. He really enjoyed the Angie Sage books Flyte, Magyk, and Physik. The Artemis Fowl series was also a good one. I've never heard of the Percy Jackson books...maybe we'll move on to those next!

Mommyj2
Posted By: fangcyn Re: books to read issues. - 12/12/09 07:59 AM
DS7 loves the Angie Sage books, Artemis Fowl, and Percy Jackson. I want to add the Alchemyst series. It is a story of Nicholas Flamel. He also likes the Warrior series.

With DS, often time he does not like to start a new book. The way I lure him to read a new series is to start reading out loud the beginning of a book. If he found it interesting, he will finish the series in a matter of days.

He also doesn't know what kind of books he wants, so I just collect people's suggestions in the gifted forum and put them on a list. When he gets bored, I would go down the list to find one that's interesting and borrow them from the library.

When he is between series, he would pick books from our collection. Most books are not at his level, but I let him because this is his way to relax.

Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: books to read issues. - 12/12/09 06:07 PM
I always love book threads. I agree with the PP about being frustrated that DS will no longer devour whatever I give him. Those were the good ol' days!

I agree with the posts about the Percy Jackson books. DS7 has read them 2-3 times each at least. (I am enjoying them, too!). Rick Riordan has another series -- 39 Clues. I've heard a lot of buzz about them, but DS hasn't wanted to try them yet, so I don't have good info to share.

He's currently really enjoying the Warriors series -- getting the whole series is top of his Xmas wish list.

Here are some other authors he's enjoyed:

Cornelia Funke (e.g., Igraine the Brave and Inkheart). FYI -- I understand some of hers are pretty dark, so be careful.

Kate DiCamillo (e.g., Tales of Despereaux and Mercy Watson when he's looking for a quick bit of fun)

Roald Dahl (most anything has always been a hit, as long as you're okay with his humor)

Recently, DS brought me Misty of Chincoteague and asked if I'd read it to him. He said it didn't make pictures in his head when he read it to himself (lots of older time dialect he didn't understand). We both have enjoyed reading it together. He said it's been nice to have a break from the fantasy books, although fantasy is still his favorite genre. I've also heard good things about the Redwall series, but DS hasn't been thrilled with it yet -- we'll try it again next year.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Posted By: ithinkican Re: books to read issues. - 12/17/09 05:03 AM
I also suggest the Percy Jackson series- my reluctant reader loved those stories!

If he enjoys Secrets of Droon, he will probably also like the Dragon Slayer's Academy series.

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald is a great series as well.
Posted By: Taminy Re: books to read issues. - 12/21/09 04:33 PM
I definitely concur with the Percy Jackson recommendation--it definitely has been a hit with a wide variety of readers, and the spin off interest in mythology opens up a whole new list of reading possibilities.

If shorter books are appealing right now, you might leave a copy of the first Deltorra Quest book around the house. That has completely ensnared my son and I recently saw it on a middle school teacher's recommended reads list (which leads me to believe that short does not in this case equal simplistic).

Also (but not so short): Gregor the Overlander, The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Warriors, Eragon, Inkheart, Hatchet...

My DD10, who is also an obsessive reader, went through something like what you describe last summer. A couple of thoughts:

Audiobooks (especially first in a series books for the car or for bedtime). Don't try Percy Jackson this way--not an audio interpretation that is on par with the writing (imho). First books might include: Gregor the Overlander, Into the Wild (warriors), Hatchet, etc. If the first book appeals, there is likely to be interest in checking out the subsequent books.

Sprinkling books around the house/car: don't recommend, just leave books where he might happen to land when there is nothing else to do. Some books DD picked up, some she ignored. You might especially consider something with a lot of short stories in it. My DD has been reading the complete Brothers Grimm in fits and starts since early July. She probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't left it in the backseat of the car, but it has become one of her favorite books to take along with us when she knows she's going to be sitting around and waiting someplace.

Re-reading is not a bad thing. Even though watching DD read a Harry Potter or Percy Jackson book for the 8 millionth time sometimes makes me grit my teeth, I think that re-reading is actually a positive thing. First read(s) of a book are pretty plot driven--we want to know what's going to happen. Subsequent readings are when we pick up all of the nuances of the character, language, setting....I hear DD interpret and discuss other books through her complete understanding of her "anchor" books. She knows these favorites so well now that she says things like, "it's like in "x" when the author makes you think...." or "it's sort of like how the character in "x" seems like "y", but the author drops little hints for you...".

Finally....books that seem "below" in ability are not really a bad thing either (imho). Books can/should sometimes be just for the pure escape of it all. Voracious readers will go through series like Captain Underpants very, very quickly (and sometimes pick up some GREAT vocabulary) and with a lot of enjoyment--it's the equivalent of the "beach read". Not much in the way of growth, but the kind of fun and harmless escape we all enjoy. DD sat down and read the first five books in a weekend, and ALWAYS grabs at least one book of comic strips from library (favorites: Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Peanuts).

Phew! Long post. HTH!
Posted By: Grinity Re: books to read issues. - 12/21/09 07:39 PM
Eragon is at least long...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragon

Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/21/09 08:47 PM
DS about a week ago was learning idioms in school and did a worksheet with bookworm. He said the worm was sad so he read too much. I asked does he only read when he is sad. He said no. I asked him if he wanted to talk about anything making him sad. I know school has been hard and he said no.

My DS read over 350 books last year in 2nd grade. He has been going to the library and getting books once a week since birth. This week he only took out one book - pokemon. This is shocking. He usually takes out 10-15 books. He has had some what to read issues. He agreed to read some books suggested here but then didn't.

I go to a store near my house and pick up some good books for 25 cents almost weekly. I just put them up on the home library and he can pick some if he wants but he has not done this lately. Hope this passes soon.

I did start reading the mysterious benedict society. This is very good. I'm hoping to talk to him about it when I'm done and get him interested. We haven't read the same books completely together except picture books. I'm trying a new approach.
Posted By: Grinity Re: books to read issues. - 12/21/09 09:46 PM
I just bought this for DS13. He loved the earilier versions. We also liked the first 'mysterious benedict society' as a family audio for a long car ride.

My hunch is that you DS is going through a little 'quiet' phase while he catches up with himself and gets ready to read the longer books.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Kids-Almanac-Editors-Magazine/dp/1603208089
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/21/09 10:08 PM
Thanks Grinity for the encouragement. I'm gonna just try to roll with this right now and not make a big deal with him. The audio books is a good way to get him interested in a new series like this.
Posted By: Taminy Re: books to read issues. - 12/22/09 12:28 AM
Do you and your ds read together at bedtime? Usually DD reads along as I read at bedtime, but I noticed when she was going through her slump in reading interest that she was more likely to just listen and not read along.

When I read your last post I was thinking about that, and about how reading to oneself requires focus. Maybe our kids go through a reading slump when they are cognitively "busy" in other ways. Reading isn't satisfying if the mind keeps wandering off in other directions, kwim? That could explain an interest in familiar books and in less taxing books (hello pokemon wink ) Realizing that your brain went somewhere else two pages ago doesn't matter if you are reading a story you already know well. Regardless, I'm thinking that anyone who has read the number of books your son has read is going to find his way back to books all on his own smile
Posted By: BWBShari Re: books to read issues. - 12/22/09 01:02 AM
DS6 and I are currently reading the "39 clues" series. He likes it so far (fingers crossed). We read every night together. He chooses left or right, then I'm responsible for reading the opposite page.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/22/09 02:05 AM
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I'm thinking maybe he has escaped a little too much in books and wants to focus on something else more. Maybe he is ready to deal with his feelings more. I'm not really sure what's up. It's just a bit shocking because he would usally get upset if he didn't have library books.

I do have a worry that I'm not sure is valid. Maybe he feels too smart and doesn't want to read. In the begginning of 2nd Grade it was like getting hit with a brick when we realized he already knew everything. Then he slowed down alot on the nonfiction. Maybe this was just a change in interest. Not sure.

We do read together at bedtime frequently. Sometimes we just talk.
Posted By: questions Re: books to read issues. - 12/22/09 02:13 AM
In our house, Percy Jackson series was the big breakthrough for DS and reading. He also loved the Mysterious Benedict Society books and recently read the three Name of This Book is Secret books. He's currently enjoying a couple of silly little books we picked up today: Flawed Dogs and Zoobreak. I don't claim any literary benefit other than fun - he loves Flawed Dogs (short - about 200 pages; unfortunately, he'll be done with it soon).
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 12/23/09 12:59 PM
DS went to the library today and checked out 5 books. I quess it's all ok.
Posted By: Lucijane Re: books to read issues. - 12/30/09 05:00 AM
If DS can handle heroines, I suggest "Wolves of Willoughby Chase" series by Joan Aiken. The second and third are "Black Hearts at Battersea" (with male hero) and "Nightbirds on Nantucket".

The books are set in an imaginary time when Bonnie Prince Charlie sits on the throne of England, but the Hanoverian pretender Prince George plots his return. As English history buffs know, this is the exact opposite of what really happened.

DD8, the tomboy, is reading "Little Men" by LMA, as I told her it was full of fun stuff like boys burning down their school and fighting.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 01/05/10 03:52 AM
We went to the library today and DS checked out a dozen books which is fine but they are what he has read many times. It really does not matter to me if he rereads if he is content. He expressed some disappointment yet he has not been interested in any help, suggestions or effort. It's like he is stuck.

He started doing more multiplication in school and he was feeling slow at it. I worked thru the easier levels on Timez attack and let him know this was avaliable if he wants some practice at some point. He said ok I'll do it, like I forced him. Then was happy he was buzzing thru the levels.

I have this feeling about school's lack of challenge discouraging him and feeling stuck like it's not good to go forward. I want to tell him forget about school limits just be true to you. I'm looking to get him in another school next year. I wonder how to encourage him when school is just not meeting his needs. I think he is still thirsty for learning but maybe stuck and discouraged. He has always valued learning. It may be confusing that the school is not letting him use his time well.
Posted By: cym Re: books to read issues. - 01/07/10 12:40 AM
DS 8 liked the zillion Warriors books and is now reading Hunger Games (it has a sequel Catching Fire--I read the first and it was great). I also really enjoyed the Margaret Haddix (Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, etc.) series. DS 11 read Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen last year and enjoyed those.

My oldest DS is my real book worm. At a garage sale he picked up a biography about the guy who started McDonalds. I thought it was strange but he read it immediately and then started reading biographies of other innovators/magnets. Maybe some non-fiction will help inspire him, if you (or he) can find something that interests him.
Posted By: zarfkitty Re: books to read issues. - 01/07/10 01:55 AM
My DD reads "worthy" books in fits and spurts. Last summer, she conquered Lord of the Flies and The Good Earth among other more age appropriate titles.

She goes weeks at a time re-reading Babysitters Club and Ramona and not wanting to even look at anything new. We were in this rut up until quite recently.

Then her relatives gave her "book money" for Christmas and she bought:

Sabriel
Artemis Fowl
Just So Stories
Life of Pi
Mysterious Benedict Society
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Dragonflight (Anne McCaffery)
and....

Exploring the Quantum - a graduate level physics text which was glossy and purple. (She actually did read the introduction and giggled at "naked quantum" - she also asked her friend's dad who is a university physics prof to help her with it!)

So I guess we're in a non-Babysitter's cycle right now. And thank goodness for used bookstores (I know we should be a library family but for several poor reasons - we are bad at that).
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 02/23/10 03:57 PM
DS9 has been declining with level and contentment of reading since Sept. Despite very gentle suggestions this had gotten to the point that he was only checking out a Pokenmon book from the library a week. He checked out 10-15 books a week last year. (He is actually reading a good amount every day - that's not my issue.)

Well, finally a break through! At least I think so, time will tell.

DD6 is reading Hodges Burrnett's, A little Princess 6 grade level, and DS found out. He said she not reading that!!!! I said yes she is and she is enjoying it. He once again stated, It's not my fault I can't find any above level books. I gave my standard reply that's not true let me know if you need help finding some books.

Finally!!!! This week I was at the library and pulled out a book and he said he would try it!!!!! and he likes it!!!! It's called Cosmic for ages 7-12 and it's 3" thick. I'm so happy but keep that all low key except here today. I want this to be about him. not about pleasing me.

I think DD had something to do with this. This little girl has some amazing effects on our family sometime.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: books to read issues. - 02/23/10 04:04 PM
DS9 read the Percy Jackson series in two weeks and loved it...me too!

He has moved on to the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz which is about a young boy secret agent spy. Very cool.

Next up is the James Patterson series Maximum Ride. None of these seem to be on the AR list so I can't find their levels, but his teacher suggested them all.
Posted By: JaneSmith Re: books to read issues. - 02/23/10 05:16 PM
We gravitate towards series as well. When my kids like something they tend to want to stick with it rather than try something new, and since my older son reads so fast it's more practical to get a series rather than a single book.

Other than Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, my DS8 has enjoyed the Little House series and the Chronicles of Narnia.

He has also enjoyed the History of the World series, which he goes back to periodically. My DS7 has recently gotten into Percy Jackson and also enjoys Roald Dahl, but he doesn't read as voraciously so keeping him supplied hasn't been an issue.

Sterling Point Books has some interesting titles. My DS8 has read D-Day, the Deadly Hunt (about the Bismark), Pearl Harbor Attack, Alexander the Great, and one more about the guy Indian Jones was based on.

DS8 also enjoyed the first two City of Ember books, but he didn't love them and I think the books push a "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" philosophy that I can do without.

I tried reading White Fang to them, but it didn't go over well. I loved Jack London when I was a little older - I think it will have to wait.

The Tom Swift series was recommended to be by a friend, but my kids haven't read any of them yet. I think it's nice to go back and read older books. I'm also thinking about trying out some adult/young adult older science fiction. I tried Ender's Game a while ago, but it was another no go.

This is a good thread.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: books to read issues. - 02/23/10 06:25 PM
This is a good thread. This is where I got the Percy Jackson tip.

JaneSmith, I agree about the series thing. We go through books like water. Love the used bookstore!

I haven't heard about the Tom Swift series, but will check it out. DS9 read Ender's Game over the summer and enjoyed it enough. We've also done the Angie Sage series Physik, Magyk, and Flyte as well as Harry Potter, both big hits with DS.

We are trying to get into some of the older classics as well...he read Tom Sawyer and thought it was okay. Maybe Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea...it's hard to find stand alone books!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: books to read issues. - 02/24/10 04:45 AM
Well, we're on the second Mysterious Benedict Society book now, and DS7 enjoys them.

Some of the older classics that haven't been mentioned here (I think) are the Madeleine L'Engle books (Ring of Endless Light, etc.), the Black Stallion books, and Scott O'Dell (Island of the Blue Dolphins, etc.).

Some nonfiction books that he loves to death are "Why Pi", "Go Figure!", and the "M&M's Book of the Millenium". We check them out at the library, renew them, renew them again, return them, and then next trip check them out again and start over. We have these books for 9 out of every 12 weeks now! I was going to get them for him for Christmas, but I got the Mysterious Benedict Society and a Calvin and Hobbes instead. smile
Posted By: JaneSmith Re: books to read issues. - 02/24/10 10:20 PM
I was at the library today getting two of the books recommended in this thread (Other Side of the Mountain and Julie of the Wolves) and I saw the Black Stallion books. I used to LOVE those, but I passed on them today because I thought maybe they were "girl" books? Not that I care, but I want to pick stuff my kids will read. Do boys typically enjoy the Black Stallion books?

BTW- there was only one book on Greek mythology in the library. I think the popularity of Percy Jackson has created a run.

My younger son also loves the Wimpy Kid books. It bugs me a little - but they are FUNNY!
Posted By: Chrys Re: books to read issues. - 02/24/10 10:31 PM
If you like A Wrinkle in Time, I recommend When You Reach Me, because it refers to AWIT and Newberry this year.

Also Lowery's The Giver is amazing - maybe not for a sensitive 7 yo, but I read it last year and still think about it.

chrys
Posted By: intparent Re: books to read issues. - 02/24/10 10:44 PM
My kids liked the Lloyd Alexander "The Chronicles of Prydain" series. They also loved the Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman.

I think it is funny to see the multiple mentions of Calvin & Hobbes, and also someone brought up Foxtrot. Until now I couldn't put a finger on why I would consider most "cartoon" books a waste of time and money, but have put those in a different category. I have even given them as gifts to my kids. I just never thought about the reason why I approve of them - - it is because Calvin & Jason are obviously gifted! Just hope my D doesn't use her "gifts" in the same way Calvin does, though smile
Posted By: MsFriz Re: books to read issues. - 02/25/10 01:56 AM
I want to second the Warriors series. It's about the ins and outs of four feral cat colonies. DS5, who loves cats, doesn't have the tracking stamina to read these on his own, but he's eating them up as bedtime material read aloud, and I'll admit even I'm getting sucked into some of the plots.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: books to read issues. - 02/25/10 03:10 AM
I'm not sure if the Black Stallion books are "girl" books or not--I'm a girl, but I was a tomboy all the way and I loved them. And they ARE about a boy, after all, so I should think they'd be ok to boys. I think all the other horse books were girly, like National Velvet and Misty of Chincoteague and My Friend Flicka and all of those, which might be why I didn't like them as well! smile
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 04/06/10 03:39 PM
DS9 seems to be over his slump with reading!!! thanks to Vicam! AND Guardians of Ga Hoolie series. He has just finished all 15 books.

I am speculating during his slump was he was studying humor in his easier level books like Ms. Krup cracks me up! by Dan Gutman.
He seems to be acting like a cartoon frequently. Any body have experience like this? It's goofy.
Posted By: vicam Re: books to read issues. - 04/06/10 07:06 PM
Good news there is a new series by the same ga'hoolie author that is about Wolves, My DS 8 is aggravated that only one is out so far. He loved it
Posted By: Floridama Re: books to read issues. - 04/07/10 01:15 PM
AHH There are so many sugetions here!

My DD7 has almost finished The Percy Jackson series. I am trying to figure out which series to move to next.
Her favorite part about the "Lightning" books was being introduced to Mythology. She detoured from the series several times to study up on mythology. smile

NE one else know af a series which incorporates history or nonfiction into the story line?
She also used to like the Magic Tree House series, but of course those are baby books now.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: books to read issues. - 04/07/10 03:09 PM
I don't know if this has mentioned before, and I'm sure many of you know about it - but thought I'd share in case there are those who haven't come across it. If you go to www.scholastic.com, teacher section, and click on the book wizard tab, you can search for books in all age levels/reading levels - and mix and match them, if you see what I mean ? Check it out and play around, and see what you think smile
Posted By: Floridama Re: books to read issues. - 04/07/10 03:30 PM
Thanks NCP! that helps narrow it down
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 04/09/10 12:00 PM
351 p. : ill. ; 24 cm
Series Redwall series.
Summary When the peaceful life of ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help Redwal
Added Author Chalk, Gary, ill
ISBN 0399214240

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall#Plot_summary
http://redwall.org/

I have found those very useful for series.

DS9 just started this series. If I remember correctly there are 20 books. That should keep him busy for a month. LOL We watched a movie first before he read the first book.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: books to read issues. - 04/09/10 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by vicam
Good news there is a new series by the same ga'hoolie author that is about Wolves, My DS 8 is aggravated that only one is out so far. He loved it

Thank you. I'm sure he will read that one too.

http://www.scholastic.com/gahoole/books.htm
Posted By: Niti Re: books to read issues. - 04/18/10 05:33 AM
my DS8 loved the droon series. He's reading Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson books side by side(Can't stop reading even while eating).heard about a new good series, can't remeber the name, will let know as soon as I find out!
Good luck in finding new series!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: books to read issues. - 07/27/10 03:56 AM
DS6 just discovered the Warriors cat series, and he's actually been reading again! He always wants us to read to him, and complains about reading on his own, but he loves reading about the cat clans. We couldn't get him to start from the beginning of the series, though - he just had to start with "Firestar," because the name was so cool...
Posted By: bh14 Re: books to read issues. - 07/27/10 06:10 PM
I have an extremely avid reader here too. I go to am@zon.com and search the books. I also look at the picks they suggest based on other books. We liked series books but they eventually get old for us and we move on to other things. We read the 39 clues a few years ago and those are old news. We read the lemony snicket (first few books... but when one wasn't quite as good, we moved on.) I have gotten several books that I thought she'd like and then she happened to start reading another book and the one I got just didn't get read etc. She often would read several books at once. Now the number of pages is getting so big, she doesn't read as many books because it takes longer. Anything less than 200 pages and it's done in what seems like half an hour. We got bigger books and now it seems more worthwhile. I love books myself, can't help it so I love that DC loves to read just as much. I have a kindle and I couldn't live without the thing! Always have a new book at my fingertips. DD likes to read on it too.

I told her I would get her one when she's a little bigger smile

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum