Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #63716 12/11/09 09:06 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My DS9 is an almost obssesive reader. He gets really upset if he has no books from the library. We do have a nice little libary at home for backup. He has recently told me he is very bored and needs a new series but does respond well to my suggestions anymore. I have offered him flyers, websites, Children's book guides, ects. Our neighborhood librian is not so great with suggestions. I told him he needs to make and effort because it will not magically happen. I asked him what types of books he is interested and he doesn't know. It seems like nothing will please him. He would like a new series.

He is sensitive. I asked if some books scared him and he said No. He has also been reading shorter books but he was very into the Droon series. I thought that was ok.

Any insight to why he might be so stuck? Maybe he has Reading Overload Syndrome? any body know the cure or have experience?

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/11/09 09:09 AM.
    V
    V
    Guardians of Ga Hoolie series. There are 15 of them and I heard a movie will be out next year. It is about a group of owls. My 8 year old boy is on book 11

O
    OP Offline
    O
    He will try one of these. I see there is a CD of all the stories but our library has it listed as missing. thank you.

K
    K
    We are very much struggling with this with DS newly 9. His reading level is well beyond his interest level. Not many series draw him in unless they're not at all formulaic. He doesn't have the sensitivity issue and I'll let him read whatever he wants. He has been rereading a lot of books, which drives me crazy. I'd like to be exposed to new material regularly since we're homeschooling. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Ds9 has gone whole hog for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, longer books but very fun apparently (recommended by someone on this board). He has traditionally been extremely hard to find books for, so it has been delightful that the last couple of series I've found from this board have been huge hits.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    kimck - thanks I'm glad I'm not alone. it's strange because he use to read anything I would give him. He has many interests and is ambitious. I really would like an idea what this could be about.

What do you mean by formulaic?

I'm not sure about the issue of getting him to take your suggestions, but I can add a couple of suggestions for fun adventure series that maybe you could just place on the nightstand next to his bed for him to pick up at his will:

- "Time Warp Trio" series (like Magic Tree House but funny and for slightly older boys in particular)
    - "Chronicles of the Moon" series (12year old (?) boy and girl go on archeological digs around the world and gather clues to a bigger mystery)
    - "Chet Gecko Mysteries" series (a gumshoe-style 4th grade detective, who is a gecko, solves mysteries at school, and has a clever, wisecracking sense of humor)
    - "Spy X" series (11 year old twins whose mother, a spy, goes missing and they have to solve riddles and codes to gather information and eventually find their mom)
    - "Chasing Vermeer", "The Calder Game", and "The Wright 3" by Blue Balliett (Smart kids solve riddles, mazes,coded messages, and other clues as they work to solve mysteries related to painting, sculpture, and architectural masterpieces)

HTH!

She thought she could, so she did.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    kimck - thanks I'm glad I'm not alone. it's strange because he use to read anything I would give him. He has many interests and is ambitious. I really would like an idea what this could be about.

What do you mean by formulaic?

Oh, I just mean he could easily predict what's going to happen by what happens in earlier books. My DS would read anything I'd hand him a year or 2 ago too. So annoying! Hopefully it's a stage!

He LOVED the Percy Jackson series too and just got done reading it for the 2nd time. Now we are reading D'auliere's Greek Myths out loud (DS actually read this before reading Percy Jackson). My 5 year old loves it.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    He has agreed to try some of these books. Thank you.

M
    M
    I'm so glad you have this thread. DS8 does tons of reading in class and we are almost out of ideas for him. He gets very upset when he finishes a series and we don't have one on stand-by. It's especially hard if we forget the book at home and he has nothing to do in class.

He's on the last Harry Potter right now. He really enjoyed the Angie Sage books Flyte, Magyk, and Physik. The Artemis Fowl series was also a good one. I've never heard of the Percy Jackson books...maybe we'll move on to those next!

Mommyj2

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs