Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    F
    F
    DS7 loves the Angie Sage books, Artemis Fowl, and Percy Jackson. I want to add the Alchemyst series. It is a story of Nicholas Flamel. He also likes the Warrior series.

With DS, often time he does not like to start a new book. The way I lure him to read a new series is to start reading out loud the beginning of a book. If he found it interesting, he will finish the series in a matter of days.

He also doesn't know what kind of books he wants, so I just collect people's suggestions in the gifted forum and put them on a list. When he gets bored, I would go down the list to find one that's interesting and borrow them from the library.

When he is between series, he would pick books from our collection. Most books are not at his level, but I let him because this is his way to relax.

Cindi
    M
    M
    I always love book threads. I agree with the PP about being frustrated that DS will no longer devour whatever I give him. Those were the good ol' days!

I agree with the posts about the Percy Jackson books. DS7 has read them 2-3 times each at least. (I am enjoying them, too!). Rick Riordan has another series -- 39 Clues. I've heard a lot of buzz about them, but DS hasn't wanted to try them yet, so I don't have good info to share.

He's currently really enjoying the Warriors series -- getting the whole series is top of his Xmas wish list.

Here are some other authors he's enjoyed:

Cornelia Funke (e.g., Igraine the Brave and Inkheart). FYI -- I understand some of hers are pretty dark, so be careful.

Kate DiCamillo (e.g., Tales of Despereaux and Mercy Watson when he's looking for a quick bit of fun)

Roald Dahl (most anything has always been a hit, as long as you're okay with his humor)

Recently, DS brought me Misty of Chincoteague and asked if I'd read it to him. He said it didn't make pictures in his head when he read it to himself (lots of older time dialect he didn't understand). We both have enjoyed reading it together. He said it's been nice to have a break from the fantasy books, although fantasy is still his favorite genre. I've also heard good things about the Redwall series, but DS hasn't been thrilled with it yet -- we'll try it again next year.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I
    I
    I also suggest the Percy Jackson series- my reluctant reader loved those stories!

If he enjoys Secrets of Droon, he will probably also like the Dragon Slayer's Academy series.

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald is a great series as well.

T
    T
    I definitely concur with the Percy Jackson recommendation--it definitely has been a hit with a wide variety of readers, and the spin off interest in mythology opens up a whole new list of reading possibilities.

If shorter books are appealing right now, you might leave a copy of the first Deltorra Quest book around the house. That has completely ensnared my son and I recently saw it on a middle school teacher's recommended reads list (which leads me to believe that short does not in this case equal simplistic).

Also (but not so short): Gregor the Overlander, The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Warriors, Eragon, Inkheart, Hatchet...

My DD10, who is also an obsessive reader, went through something like what you describe last summer. A couple of thoughts:

Audiobooks (especially first in a series books for the car or for bedtime). Don't try Percy Jackson this way--not an audio interpretation that is on par with the writing (imho). First books might include: Gregor the Overlander, Into the Wild (warriors), Hatchet, etc. If the first book appeals, there is likely to be interest in checking out the subsequent books.

Sprinkling books around the house/car: don't recommend, just leave books where he might happen to land when there is nothing else to do. Some books DD picked up, some she ignored. You might especially consider something with a lot of short stories in it. My DD has been reading the complete Brothers Grimm in fits and starts since early July. She probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't left it in the backseat of the car, but it has become one of her favorite books to take along with us when she knows she's going to be sitting around and waiting someplace.

Re-reading is not a bad thing. Even though watching DD read a Harry Potter or Percy Jackson book for the 8 millionth time sometimes makes me grit my teeth, I think that re-reading is actually a positive thing. First read(s) of a book are pretty plot driven--we want to know what's going to happen. Subsequent readings are when we pick up all of the nuances of the character, language, setting....I hear DD interpret and discuss other books through her complete understanding of her "anchor" books. She knows these favorites so well now that she says things like, "it's like in "x" when the author makes you think...." or "it's sort of like how the character in "x" seems like "y", but the author drops little hints for you...".

Finally....books that seem "below" in ability are not really a bad thing either (imho). Books can/should sometimes be just for the pure escape of it all. Voracious readers will go through series like Captain Underpants very, very quickly (and sometimes pick up some GREAT vocabulary) and with a lot of enjoyment--it's the equivalent of the "beach read". Not much in the way of growth, but the kind of fun and harmless escape we all enjoy. DD sat down and read the first five books in a weekend, and ALWAYS grabs at least one book of comic strips from library (favorites: Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Peanuts).

Phew! Long post. HTH!

Eragon is at least long...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragon

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS about a week ago was learning idioms in school and did a worksheet with bookworm. He said the worm was sad so he read too much. I asked does he only read when he is sad. He said no. I asked him if he wanted to talk about anything making him sad. I know school has been hard and he said no.

My DS read over 350 books last year in 2nd grade. He has been going to the library and getting books once a week since birth. This week he only took out one book - pokemon. This is shocking. He usually takes out 10-15 books. He has had some what to read issues. He agreed to read some books suggested here but then didn't.

I go to a store near my house and pick up some good books for 25 cents almost weekly. I just put them up on the home library and he can pick some if he wants but he has not done this lately. Hope this passes soon.

I did start reading the mysterious benedict society. This is very good. I'm hoping to talk to him about it when I'm done and get him interested. We haven't read the same books completely together except picture books. I'm trying a new approach.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/21/09 01:59 PM.
    I just bought this for DS13. He loved the earilier versions. We also liked the first 'mysterious benedict society' as a family audio for a long car ride.

My hunch is that you DS is going through a little 'quiet' phase while he catches up with himself and gets ready to read the longer books.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Kids-Almanac-Editors-Magazine/dp/1603208089

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks Grinity for the encouragement. I'm gonna just try to roll with this right now and not make a big deal with him. The audio books is a good way to get him interested in a new series like this.

T
    T
    Do you and your ds read together at bedtime? Usually DD reads along as I read at bedtime, but I noticed when she was going through her slump in reading interest that she was more likely to just listen and not read along.

When I read your last post I was thinking about that, and about how reading to oneself requires focus. Maybe our kids go through a reading slump when they are cognitively "busy" in other ways. Reading isn't satisfying if the mind keeps wandering off in other directions, kwim? That could explain an interest in familiar books and in less taxing books (hello pokemon wink ) Realizing that your brain went somewhere else two pages ago doesn't matter if you are reading a story you already know well. Regardless, I'm thinking that anyone who has read the number of books your son has read is going to find his way back to books all on his own smile

DS6 and I are currently reading the "39 clues" series. He likes it so far (fingers crossed). We read every night together. He chooses left or right, then I'm responsible for reading the opposite page.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years