BBQ,

It's really a tough decision, and I'm sure it also depends on exactly how intellectually advanced he is. We can definitely see it coming with our son, too.

Again, I am only speaking from personal experience, but I should probably clarify a few things:

1. Though I found it difficult to be so different, I was not socially unsuccessful (homecoming court, student council, etc). If one judges from a standard of "A" grades and number of yearbook photos, I did just fine! However, because I was socially conscious, I did spend a lot of energy on working towards social goals. I was in an environment where my physical and emotional maturity put me at a disadvantage. This energy and creativity could have been spent intellectually.

2. I was so far above my peers in language and reading comp that there was really no answer for my parents' dilemma inside of the public school system where we lived. Homeschooling was not an option. Placing me up one grade did stop me from being as bored as I had been because I was experiencing more challenge in my areas of comparative weakness, and therein lies the dilemma: my academic weaknesses and social skills were strengthened, while my intellectual strengths grew only to the level of my personal investment outside of my school days.

I think it depends on your individual kiddo. If he loves interacting with kids his own age, if he's a very physical little boy whom you can see will very much enjoy competitive athletics, if he is quite bright but not so much so that remaining among his peers would become a great burden for him...well, then you really do have some challenging choices to make!

Tough choice after tough choice. Isn't that parenting in a nutshell?

Last edited by Roni; 02/06/10 06:58 PM.